Causes of Dry Damaged Hair Hair is damaged due to various reasons and one of the most common reasons is treating hair to various harsh chemicals likehair colors, hair dyes and hair extensions, treating hair to excessive heat while straightening, blow drying, rebonding and perming, certain hairstyles like braids, etc. The signs of damaged hair are dry, brittle, split or frizzy hair ends. Hair can develop a dry texture due to the use of chlorine water while washing hair, excessive use of hair care products, pollution and chemical treatments. It can also develop dryness due lack of regular oiling, regular shampooing and conditioning. Dry and damaged hair can lead to many other hair related problems like dandruff,hair loss, etc.
Home Remedies for Dry Damaged Hair
There are a number of natural treatments for dry damaged hair, that can be easily used to repair dry damaged hair.
OilOils of different kinds are the best dry damaged hair remedy. You can prepare a mixture of oils like castor oil, olive oil, almond oil and coconut oil, apply it to the hair and scalp and leave it on for a few hours, before rinsing it. These oils will provide the required nourishment and moisture to the dry and damaged hair, and will also promote healthy hair growth.
An egg is a natural conditioner and cleanser and is excellent for dry and damaged hair treatment. It can be used in the following ways for the treatment of dry damaged hair.
- Whip an egg into lukewarm water, lather it into the hair and scalp and rinse. Your hair will be clean and shiny, once you are done with this sticky, yucky treatment.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk and whip it well, add a tablespoon of water and mix well until it turns creamy. Add the egg yolk to the creamy mixture and apply it to wet hair and massage gently into the scalp. Leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse with cool water. Repeat the procedure once again and rinse well with water.
- Apply a mixture of egg and honey to extremely damaged hair on an alternate day basis.
- Apply a mixture of one egg, two tablespoons of honey, one tablespoon of coconut oil and one of almond oil, to damp hair or washed hair. Leave it on for around 30 minutes and rinse with a mild shampoo.
- Mayonnaise has very good deep cleansing and conditioning properties and is very useful in restoring health to dry damaged hair. It can be used in the following ways for treatment of dry damaged hair.
- Spread a thick layer of mayo from the root of your hair to the tip, massage it well into the scalp and leave it on for around 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water for soft and shiny hair.
- Heat some mayonnaise until it turns into a white, oily and sticky mixture. Apply it to dry, unwashed hair and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then, rise thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
- In case of extremely damaged hair, you can also smear mayonnaise onto your hair, leave it overnight and wash the next day with a mild shampoo.
Tips to Prevent Dry Damaged Hair
- Dry damaged hair can be avoided in a number of ways. Adequate hair care is the key to preventing dry damaged hair.
- Oil, shampoo and condition your hair regularly, but not on a daily basis. Use a mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Get timely haircuts to prevent brittle hair and split ends.
- Avoid the regular use of hair colors, hair styling appliances, chemical hair treatments and hair products.
- Protect your hair from dust, pollution and direct sunlight.
- Consume a nutritious and balanced diet to promote healthy hair growth and to avoid hair problems.
By Dhanya Joy