Amazing Facts About The Indian Railways
You Never Knew
The chugging of the train and the soothing vibrations manage to transform every traveller to a different space. Indian Railways – the World’s third largest Railway Network encompasses a host of facts that most of us are not aware of.
1. Indian Railway is constructing the highest rail bridge over Chenab, in J&K
2. Loco-pilots (train drivers) are paid more than an average software engineer
3. No loco-pilot has abandoned the train even in the face of certain death
4. The Indian Railways website gets close to 12 Lakh hits per minute
Hourly traffic on IRTC.com is more than annual traffic of some of the most popular Indian websites. It can support almost 5 million threads at one time. But, we’ve got more people than that. Hence the never ending trolls.
5. The slowest train goes uphill at the speed of 10 kilometers per hour
6. If the tracks of Indian railways were to be laid out, they would circle the earth almost 1.5 times
7. The trains got toilets after Indian Railways completed about 50 years!
Back then, passengers had to wait till the next station to answer the call of nature! Thank Okhil Chandra for making Indian Railways do the needful. He wrote the following letter to Indian Railways and finally, there were toilets in 1909!
8. Back in the old days, elephants were used to position the cartridges
9. Its 161 years old!
10. The station with the longest name isVenkatanarasimharajuvaripeta
11. Most unreliable train in Indian Railways isGuwahati-Trivandrum Express
12. The longest tunnel in the country is 11.215 kilometers long!
13. The station with the smallest name is called ‘IB ’: It’s in Odisha
14. Before installing Automatic Point System was installed, hundreds of guards lost their hands and fingers trying to fix it manually. Every time a train got delayed and we complained, an Indian Railways employee probably lost his limbs for us
15. The longest running train covers a distance of 4273 km between Dibrugarh and Kanyakumari: It’s called the Vivek Express
16. The shortest distance covered between two successive stations is 3 kilometers
17. A train covers a distance of 528 km without a single stop
18. Lucknow is the busiest junction in the nation: 64 trains come in and move out, every day
19. A massively successful organization – running 11,000 trains in a day is no joke!
20. Indian Railways transports almost 2.5 crore passengers daily
21. The Rail Museum in Delhi is the largest in Asia
22. The railway station of Navapur is built in two states; half in Maharashtra and the rest is in Gujarat
23. Indian Railways has a mascot – Bholu, the Guard Elephant
परोपकाराय फलन्ति वृक्षा: परोपकाराय वहन्ति नद्यः।
परोपकाराय दुहन्ति गावः परोपकाराय इदं शरीरम्।
( hari krishnamurthy K. HARIHARAN)"
” When people hurt you Over and Over think of them as Sand paper.
They Scratch & hurt you, but in the end you are polished and they are finished. ”
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great."- Mark Twain.
யாம் பெற்ற இன்பம் பெருக வையகம்
visit my blog https://harikrishnamurthy.wordpress.com
follow me @twitter lokakshema_hari
VISIT MY PAGE https://www.facebook.com/K.Hariharan60 AND LIKE