Thyroid gland is a small mass of tissue present on either side of the trachea or windpipe. It is a very important structure that helps in the metabolism of the body.When the basal metabolism is below normal, a person tends to be slow in his movements. He feels cold more and may have marked dryness of the skin, along with constipation and a tendency to put on weight. His hair is dry, thin, and coarse and the skin appears dry, scaly and thickened. There may be puffiness in the face, especially around the eyes. The tongue is usually large, the pulse is slow and regular, and the patient often complains of vague pains in the back and stiffness in the joints.
Hypothyroidism: It is a condition that results from the insufficient amount of thyroid hormone in the body. The trouble may also develop from pituitary deficiency, but is more likely due to some inborn error of the thyroid gland. The change usually comes gradually and involves the patient’s personality and also his ability to think.
Hypothyroidism is seen in both sexes, but is more common in women. Most of these are overweight and may complain of heavy flow during menstruation. The heart is often enlarged, and there is high level of cholesterol in the blood stream.
Hyperthyroidism: It is also known as Grave’s disease or thyrotoxicosis. It is a serious condition of the body, arising from too much activity of the thyroid gland. The increased amounts of thyroid hormone produced by the overactive gland will then raise the metabolic rate of the body.
It is mainly present in the age group of 20 –30 years of age. It is more frequent in males but is more dangerous in females. Violent emotions, fear, anger and grief are thought to be exciting causes. Prolonged lactation, or diarrhea, excessive mental work is predisposing causes. Other important causes may include heredity, traumatism, physical strain, mental overwork, toxemias, and dysfunction of the internal glands especially the adrenals.As a result of the tachycardia myocardial degeneration may result. The orbital adipose is increased; also an increase of blood and lymph in the orbit. The enlargement of thyroid is due to marked dilatation of its blood vessels, especially the arteries.
“A peculiar disease combining three characteristic conditions namely: protrusion of the eyeballs, enlargement of the thyroid gland and functional disturbances of the heart. The neurotic symptoms are the early to appear. The tremors, which are involuntary and fine, may number from 425 to 500 per minute.
Palpitation of the heart, which accompanies the tachycardia, is at first light but increases rapidly, usually brought on and always aggravated by mental excitement. The heart beat runs from 100 to 160. Symptoms of neurasthenia may be present. Great excitability, mental depression and melancholia are frequent symptoms.
Exophatalamus varies in different patients. Immobility of the upper lid, a white line is noticeable above and below the cornea and marked dryness of the membrane is the important eye symptoms. Abnormalities of the optic nerve are rare. Ulcers of the cornea may also occasionally occur. The arteries of the retina may pulsate with the heartbeat.
The skin symptoms are: slight rise of temperature, sometimes profuse sweating, urticaria, pruritis, in advanced cases edema, especially of the ankles, frequent flushing of the face, epistaxis, vomiting and purging.A patient with this disease is usually nervous, weak, sensitive to heat, sweats frequently, is overactive and often underweight, inspite of an increased appetite. The patient eats healthy but continues to lose weight because of the higher rate of metabolism in the body.
HOME REMEDIES FOR THYROID GLAND PROBLEMS
- Kelp Sea Weed is an excellent antioxidant and contains iodine to assist thyroid function.
- L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that helps increases plasma levels, helps with weight loss and is a crucial building block of thyroid hormone.
- Spirulina is very useful for maintaning the over all health.
- Take Vitamin B Complex. It improves cellular oxygenation and energy, and helps with digestion, immune and thyroid function.
- Primrose Oil, is an essential fatty that is important for proper thyroid function. One of the useful home remedies for thyroid gland.
- Bladderwrack is high in iodine, which is beneficial for hypothyroidism.
- Irish Moss nourishes the thyroid and is useful for thyroid gland problem.
- Agnus Castus supports the pituitary gland and helps balance estrogen, which is known to interfere with normal thyroid function.
- Black Cohosh helps balance estrogen levels and may be useful in thyroid conditions.
- Siberian Ginseng helps the adrenal and thymus glands, which help support thyroid health. This is very effective home remedy for thyroid gland.
- Black walnut is rich in organic iodine and manganese that nourishes and strengthens thyroid function. This is one of the besthome remedies for thyroid gland
- Mullein covers and protects tissues and reduces swelling in glands.
- Calcium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, neodynium, terbium, thullium are minerals and trace elements necessary for the good functioning of important metabolic reactions in the thyroid.
- Take low calorie foods and it is important to cut down on cakes, biscuits, sweets and alcoholic drinks that are relatively high in calories, but low in nutrients.
- Increase your physical activity.
- Continue to be cheerful and enjoy your life.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin A, such as yellow vegetables, eggs, carrots, and dark green vegetables for thyroid gland cure.
- Iodine rich foods that nourish the thyroid are: fish and sea vegetables such as: arame, kelp, dulse, hijike, nori, wakame, and kombu. Seaweeds are very nourishing to the glands.
Reference:· Concise encyclopedia of foods & nutrition. 2nd ed. By M.E. Ensminger. CRC Press, 1995.
· Modern nutrition in health and disease. 10th ed. Maurice Shils, et. al. 2005.· The best alternative medicine: what works? what does not? Kenneth R. Pelletier. Simon & Schuster Fireside.
· Green pharmacy herbal handbook: Your comprehensive reference to the best herbs for healing. James Duke. Rodale, 2000.
http://www.morphemeremedies.com/homeremedies_thyroid_gland.htmWarning: The reader of this article should exercise all precautionary measures while following instructions on the home remedies from this article. Avoid using any of these products if you are allergic to it. The responsibility lies with the reader and not with the site or the writer.This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor.
Rest in Next“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the yea