|1)MALADHARANAM:- For SABARIMALA YATRA, the prime duty is the Maladharanam. As far as possible the Mala, should be worn through Guruswamy with whom the Bhaktha intend to perform the Yatra. If Guruswamy could not be contacted, the wearing of the Mala can be had through his mother or father or at any temple Sannidhanam. The Mala can be of either Rudraksham or Tulasi.(2) As a main principle, Mala should be worn first and then the VRATHAM starts which should be observed for a minimum of 41 days and to be completed before the commencement of the Yatra.
(2) From the day of Mala Dharan and commencement of Vratham, the Bhaktas should take bath twice every day, i.e., early in the morning and after Sun set and to do small pooja at both the times. Also should chant SARANAMS before closing the Pooja.
(4) BRAMACHARIYAM:- Should be observed very strictly during the Vratham period till the reaching of their home after the Dharsanam and Abishekam at Sabarimala.
(5) During the Vratham period, Bakthas should take only limited food as required to subside the hunger.
(6) During this period always speak TRUTH and Talk LESS.
(7) What ever may be your daily work, you have to do for your livelihood, do it with full devotion on Lord Ayyappa and discharge it in the correct manner.
(8) Treat all living creatures, as they are also created by the GOD, like us.
(9) While talking with others (whether they are Ayyappa Swamis or not) the main Taraka Manthram, i.e. Swami Saranam should be uttered with every sentence you use.
(10) Try to be, as far as possible in the company of small Ayyappa group so that you can gain more experience about the Yatra and Vratham.
(11) During this period, as far possible, try to take part in the Poojas and Bhajans.
(12) Before the date of commencement of Yatra, within your capacity, if possible, do a small Pooja and do a small scale ANNADANAM to poor and needy people. The guidance in all the connected books clearly says that Ayyappas should do ANNADANAM to poor. Feeding Ayyappas Bhakthas with big feast, assuming that we are satisfying Lord Ayyappa, is a great Sin, as during this period the Ayyappa Bakthas should have restricted food.
(12) Try always to be calm and even when you are being provoked by others, control your temper and say the only word “ SARANAM AYYAPPA”
(14) Address all men as “Ayyappa or Swami” (Not only Vratham Ayyappas) and ladies and girls, including your wife as “MALIGAPURAM” and boys as “Manikanta”. Especially the Muslims should addressed as VAVAR SWAMY.
(15) The main principle of Ayyappa Deeksha is, that all religions and castes are to be treated as ONE. Any body (Whether they are Christians, Muslims or other religion) having faith in Ayyappa, can worship Him. Ladies can participate in Poojas and Bhajans, but only girls below 10 years who have not attained Maturity and Ladies who have reached menopause, after certain age, can very well perform the Yatra duly observing the Vratham.
(16) Manasa, Vaacha and Karmana (with mind, word and duty) have full devotion to Lord.
(17) Though there is no prescribed dress to wear during this Vratham and Yatra period, to distinguish you as Ayyappa on Deeksha either black, blue or saffron dresses can be worn.
(18) As your mind is always occupied with devotion, it is desired to have always atleast Viboothi or Kumkumam or Chandanam or Namam on the forehead.